6/26/2007

Old classmates, New-claimed friends ~

Old classmates, New-claimed friends ~
Getting married is a whole lot of tasks itself, especially when in a place like Taiwan -- a combination of traditional Chinese and newfound Western flavors. Although we've cut out 2/3 of the typical Taiwanese wedding procedures, still, the preparation work makes me wonder if the wedding or the marriage itself is the part of the most work.

In Chinese traditions, once one is invited to a wedding banquet formally with the invitation card, then one needs to give money as a gift even not going to attend the banquet; therefore the often red color invitation card has a nick name "red-bomb", since whoever gets "bombed" needs to pay. So, it becomes rather hard to send the invitation or not; some people may consider being "bombed" to get certain wedding invitations; some, on the other hand, may consider being insulted not getting invited.

I tried to ask my friends as personally as I could if they could come, and only send out the invitation to those who will come to the wedding. The whole process allows me to get re-aquatinted to my old classmates, and that is a sweet-bitter very unique experience. I've been outside of Taiwan most of the time for the past 9 years, so I am really touched to see some of my friends to be so excited and helpful.

I wish I can spend more time in Taiwan with my family and friends here in the future, and I wish I can spend more time with my friends anywhere in the future.

No comments: