11/29/2006

Balance and Trust

I'm in a lab. that the postdoc can't even balance the rotor of the centrifuge, and I'm in a lab. building that although I'm wearing a photo student ID, I've still been bag-checked more than 5 times in the past 3 months when I leave the building for my class or for the day. Not when I walk in, they don't care what I bring in, but they do care what I bring out, in case I stuff the ultra centrifuge or the mini-prep kit in my backpack, I'm sure.

It sounds weird, but I guess that's how it is, I'll always be the yellow skin foreigner with accents here, most people will still ask me how the weather is in China ? Or Taiwan, Thailand, Macao, and Hong Kong won't be too much different in any sense to anyone. I've been asked many questions, besides above, besides bag-checked, such as if Chinese were in WWII (my grandpa fought 8 years for that and 3 of his family members die from it); does Taiwan need to pay tax to China; why Chinese never EVOLVED to use forks ?

I've tried, for a while, I think both China and Taiwan should grant me as a culture ambassador. But I've come to realize that no one ask me to do so. I'm just a fool myself who tried to fool myself.

No comments: