8/23/2006

New York, New York

Flew back to the US on the 13th, in the peak time of "no liquid on board", when I am still wondering if I can put "flying 15 hours without cleansers and moisturizers" on my resume, I've already moved to NYC just last week.

I was so relaxed and rested in Taiwan, that I couldn't even think and/or worry about my new student life in New York city. And soon, I've learned that this year is even funnier than I already thought.

The apartment, although it's on the corner of Madison Avenue and east 98th street, 1 block away from the Central Park, is a total nightmare. It's a third floor walk-up, with less than 3 meter in width (although it's a 2 bedroom-apt.), and tilted sloped floor (if you drop something, it will roll to the other side of the apartment), not to mention 5 long, office size windows facing my future lab., and oh, the emergency room entrance, the bus stop and the breakfast vendor who shows up before 3 am, also featuring rent-control neighbor who is gray haired yet lives with his parents.

So, apparently the Mount Sinai housing people are better an advertiser than a housing provider; I was finally allowed to see my apartment after I signed the contract and started the lease; but I just moved in, didn't even bother to unpack, and decided to move out. But again, here comes another expertise of the Sinai housing people, they didn't even ask me any question and I can tell they are very good at accepting tenants' vacating.

So, as crazy as it sounds, I'm moving back to NJ. I thought I hate commuting, but I still underestimated my dislikeness of New York.

Wow, and I thought this year is already very much fun.

No comments: